Sr. IT Specialist, IT Applications (Req. #11-132)
Positions available: 1
Date posted: 2/21/2012
Status: Full Time
IT Specialists are responsible for the support and maintenance of computer applications and databases used by any of the major operations areas: Reliability, Tariff, Markets, Settlements, Scheduling and Engineering. Secondary support responsibilities include the support and maintenance of computer applications and enterprise databases used by the Operations staff and Operators, if any, for the IT Specialist's primary area of specialization.
Many of the supported applications have significant economic impact and ensure against loss of life and property. The accurate and reliable functioning of the supported applications is critical to the operation of Southwest Power Pool and its members. The Senior IT Specialist will also provide some guidance to other junior members of any of the Applications Teams. This position may also be called on to support SPP technical committees and working groups.
Significant detailed coordination with the SPP Operations Department management team and staff is expected. The Senior IT Specialist, Applications, is expected to work with minimal supervision, exercising good judgment in developing and implementing project plans, prioritizing assignments, resolving issues and mentoring their fellow staff in the Applications teams.
- Change and Release Management Support
- During and After-Hours Incident Resolution and Logging
- Problem Analysis and Root Cause Reporting
- Release and Regression Testing Support, including the creation of test/release plans and test data as required
- Creation of and on-going updates of Troubleshooting Guidelines and Procedures
- Multi-tasking, problem-solving, and an ability to grasp complex and highly integrated systems
- An in-depth understanding of the architecture they support (i.e. ESB, Portal, etc. and a competent understanding of other systems that utilize the architecture i.e. Markets, DSS, Settlements, EMS, Oasis, RTOSS, etc.
- Perform POC evaluations for any new potential products and deliver written justifications as it relates to recommendations, costs, benefits, risks, implementation approach, etc.
- Provide training assistance in areas of expertise to other employees, as needed
- Application of detailed knowledge around specific applications or interfaces (Recognized as Subject Matter Expert)
- Perform tasks or special projects as assigned by the management team or by senior team members
- Coordination of implementation plans that span across multiple support teams in IT, vendor support and Market Participants
- Lead projects as assigned by the management team or by senior team members
- Mentor Level II, Level I and Entry Level team members. Provide some mentoring to other Senior IT Specialist team members based on experience
- Define software development project plans, including scoping, scheduling and implementation
- Consistently write, translate and code software programs and applications according to specifications to enhance functionality and/or performance of company applications
- Conduct all types of architecture/application testing as needed, such as system, unit, regression, load and acceptance testing methods
- Create and execute test scripts, cases and scenarios that will determine optimal system performance according to specifications
- Ensure that any new software integration into company systems is in alignment with SPP's architectural vision and meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications
- Work with database administrator to design, develop and update databases as they relate to user interface design and functionality
Education & Experience Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or an Information Technology-related field and five (5) years of applicable utility industry experience; or
Eight (8) years of experience in Information Technology Support related roles
Proficient working experience in strategy, planning, and architecture design and development
Proficient working experience with systems integration and technical architecture at enterprise level
Proficient written and oral communication skillsUnderstanding of and compliance with SPP Policies and Procedures
Strong Java development experience
SOA development experience (ESB, WSDL, SOAP, REST, etc.)
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work duties and responsibilities. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences, or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
This position requires minimal travel (approximately 10%).
FLSA Status: Exempt
How To Apply
Click here for information on how to apply for job openings at SPP.
Click here to learn more about available benefits at SPP.
>> Previous Page <<