Engineer (Req. #11-152)
Positions available: 1
Date posted: 1/24/2012
Status: Full Time
The Engineer in the Real-Time Technical Analysis & Support group is responsible for engineering analysis and real-time engineering support of engineering applications, processes and services associated with the performance of all Coordinated Operations responsibilities assigned to SPP Staff with primary focus on engineering support of Real Time Market Operations and Real Time system reliability. The proper performance of these responsibilities prevents power outages and maintains reliable and economical electric service in the SPP region. As such, accurate and effective engineering decision making, sometimes in stressful situations, is required.
The Engineer may assist in the development of other personnel in engineering positions. The Engineer is part of the team of highly qualified engineers (both Shift Engineers 7x24 and Day Engineers 5x8) that provides technical and analytical engineering support of the Reliability Coordination, Market Operations, Tariff Administration and Scheduling functions performed by SPP. The team coordinates the day to day operations for real time analysis of the bulk electric system for the SPP and ICT footprint. The Engineers ensure the reliability of the bulk electric system and the coordination of the SPP market operations function, SPP and ICT Reliability Coordinator function and assist in the development and maintenance of the SPP Criteria and NERC Reliability Standards. The team provides 7-day per week 24 hours a day coverage for these responsibilities.
This position requires contact with SPP members, non-members, consultants, software suppliers and other participants.
- Provide real-time engineering support for all Coordinated Operations Functions and Market Operations Functions
- Request and collect information, prepare and validate data, execute computer runs for current, next-day, and other operational assessments of the transmission network including, but not limited to, reliability analysis and market feasibility analysis
- Collect information, prepare and validate data, execute computer runs for coordination and approval of generation and transmission maintenance outage requests, especially emergency and forced outage requests
- Obtain intermediate proficiency of Operations on the Day-Ahead (DA) Energy Market, Reliability Unit Commitment (RUC), & Operating Reserves Market, the Ancillary Service Market software, Operating Reserves Market functionality
- Assist with development, testing, implementation and operation support of the future market software including the Day-Ahead (DA) Energy Market, Reliability Unit Commitment (RUC) and Operating Reserves Market
- Train other Engineers in the areas above
- Assist with development and improvement of Operations applications such as Real Time Contingency Analysis, Load Forecast application, Market Flow calculator, Market System, Constraint Manager and Curtailment System
- Work with more senior engineers and management in the research of issues reported by SPP Staff, SPP Members, non-Members and Market Participants related to results of any of the systems used by the Reliability, Tariff, Market and Scheduling desks and document the findings and report the results back to the requestor
- Make recommendations to management on long-range coordinated operations goals and objectives
- Assist with development and maintenance of a Coordinated Operations Reference Manual for current SPP operations processes, and procedures used by the real-time engineering support
- Assist the Supervisor with special projects
- Participate and contribute as an SPP representative on NERC and SPP committees, subcommittees, working groups and task forces
- Perform secretarial duties of the assigned SPP organizational groups, which include the preparation and distribution of a meeting notice, agenda, background material for activities requiring approval, presentation materials and meeting minutes
- Coordinate all administrative aspects of group meetings, which include schedule, location, room set-up, audio/visual needs, food/beverage requirements and associated costs
- Assist with administrative office duties as required
- Understanding of and compliance with SPP Policies and Procedures
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited university. An emphasis on power system analysis and electric utility operations is preferred
- Three (3) years of job-related experience
- Knowledge and compliance of SPP Policies and Procedures and SSAE16 Procedures.
- Experience in power system engineering, operations engineering, transmission planning or related discipline
- Advanced knowledge on transmission system operations including power flow, stability, voltage control, restoration, ATC calculation, etc
- Advanced knowledge of the Southwest Power Pool high voltage transmission system
- Working knowledge of NERC Reliability Standards, SPP Criteria, SPP Market Protocols, the SPP OATT and SPP OATT Business Practices
- Knowledgeable of and conversant with tools such as the EMS, IDC, CAT, MFC, Constraint Manager, CROW, OPS1, Market System and OASIS
- Strong inter-personal and team building skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Motivation to take appropriate expedited action when required
- Initiative to stay abreast of industry developments
- Ability to work with a broad spectrum of individuals with diverse interests when resolving problems
- Competent skills with communication and data handling software such as Microsoft Office© Word, Excel and Access
- Advanced degree or professional certification (Professional Engineer)
- Working knowledge of state estimator programs
- Working knowledge of Energy Markets
- Working knowledge of PSS/E or PSLF power flow programs
- Job requires working at a computer for long periods of time.
- This position requires minimal travel (approximately 10%).
FLSA Status: Exempt
How To Apply
Click here for information on how to apply for job openings at SPP.
Click here to learn more about available benefits at SPP.
>> Previous Page <<