Sr. IT Specialist, Release Manager (Req.#12-063)
Positions available: 1
Date posted: 3/7/2012
Status: Full Time
The Sr. IT Specialist, Release Manager organizes, directs, and manages promotion of software releases through SPP environments for new system features, enhancements, and defects. These activities ensure that software changes meet quality standards while maintaining the integrity of deliverables related to software releases and configurations through the environments used to conduct testing prior to and through delivery to the user community.
This position requires extensive communication with employees at all levels of the organization. The Sr. IT Specialist Release Manager is expected to work independently while working with and managing cross-impacts and dependencies through collaboration across organizational boundaries to ensure that critical software is managed throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Serve as the process owner for Release and Configuration Management, evaluating successes and failures of the process, making necessary improvements, training staff on the process objectives, and managing expectations of stakeholders throughout the release implementation process
- Establish and maintain release schedules and release plans, understanding impacts and interdependencies among applications and systems
- Establish, maintain, and govern release acceptance criteria such as code management, test plans and test execution, migration plans, backout plans, release notes, installation documentation, communication, training, etc.
- Coordinate the build and configuration of releases and release packages to meet required schedules
- Coordinate the certification of hardware prior to installation of release
- Coordinate the deployment team and the deployment process for each release
- Create, manage, maintain, communicate, and govern Configuration Management plan, standards, procedures, and supporting tools
- Ensure Change Management disciplines are followed and executed
- Manage and maintain inventory of configuration for environments, system components, major/minor release versions, and builds, ensuring inventory is up to date and readily available to appropriate staff
- Conduct post deployment reviews and ensure that all unexpected results are managed through a continuous improvement process
- Understanding of and compliance with SPP Policies and Procedures
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a technical or business discipline, and six (6) years of relevant job-related experience; OR
- Nine (9) years of Information Technology experience working within an established SDLC-driven organization
- Demonstrate excellent organizational and communications skills
- Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Visio, and Project)
- Flexibility and the ability to function with constantly changing and multiple priorities
- Experience with the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Expertise in Configuration Management and Change Management
- Ability to understand criticality of releases (system, Operating System (OS), security patches, etc.) and to develop an appropriate release plan and package for releases
- Working knowledge of quality assurance, quality control, continuous integration processes, source code management, and automation of build and installation processes
- Knowledge of the requirements and benefits of defined software branching and tagging
- Knowledge of Red Hat Linux OS 6, Windows OS, Maven, and Jenkins is a plus
- Understanding of the ITIL Service Lifecycle with special focus on Service Transition processes
- Experience creating RPMs
- Experience with Unified Modeling Language (UML)
- Experience with deploying Java packages (J BOSS AS 7.X or JBOSS EAP 5.x JEE container)
- Job requires working at a computer for long periods of time
- This position requires minimal travel (approximately 15%).
FLSA Status: Exempt
How To Apply
Click here for information on how to apply for job openings at SPP.
Click here to learn more about available benefits at SPP.
>> Previous Page <<