Sr. IT Specialist, Applications (Req. #12-069)
Positions available: 2
Date posted: 3/7/2012
Status: Full Time
Sr. IT Specialist, Applications are responsible for the support and maintenance of computer applications and databases used by any of the major operations areas: Reliability, Tariff, Markets, Settlements, Scheduling and Engineering. Secondary support responsibilities include the support and maintenance of computer applications and enterprise databases used by the Operations staff and Operators, if any, for the IT Specialist's primary area of specialization.
Many of the supported applications have significant economic impact and ensure against loss of life and property. The accurate and reliable functioning of the supported applications is critical to the operation of Southwest Power Pool and its members. The Senior IT Specialist will also provide some guidance to other junior members of any of the Applications Teams. This position may also be called on to support SPP technical committees and working groups.
Significant detailed coordination with the SPP Operations Department management team and staff is expected. The Sr. IT Specialist, Applications, is expected to work with minimal supervision, exercising good judgment in developing and implementing project plans, prioritizing assignments, resolving issues and mentoring their fellow staff in the Applications teams.
- Change and Release Management Support
- During and After-Hours Incident Resolution and Logging
- Problem Analysis and Root Cause Reporting
- Release and Regression Testing Support, including the creation of test/release plans and test data as required
- Creation of and on-going updates of Troubleshooting Guidelines and Procedures
- Multi-tasking, problem-solving, and an ability to grasp complex and highly integrated systems
- An in-depth understanding of the business requirements of the system(s) they primarily support and a competent understanding of other systems the team supports; i.e. Markets, DSS, Settlements, EMS, Oasis, RTOSS, etc.
- Provide training assistance in areas of expertise to other employees, as needed
- Application of detailed knowledge around specific applications or interfaces (Recognized as Subject Matter Expert)
- Perform tasks or special projects as assigned by the management team or by senior team members
- Coordination of implementation plans that span across multiple support teams in IT, vendor support and Market Participants
- Lead projects as assigned by the management team or by senior team members
- Mentor Level II, Level I and Entry Level team members. Provide some mentoring to other Senior IT Specialist team members based on experience
- Understand, comply with and enforce SPP Policies and Procedures
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in an Electrical Engineering or an Information Technology-related field and six (6) years of applicable utility industry experience; or
- Nine(9) years of experience in Information Technology Support related roles
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, UNIX or Linux operations systems, and database management systems
- Proficient written and oral communication skills
- Job requires working at a computer for long periods of time
- This position requires minimal travel approximately 10%.
FLSA Status: Exempt
How To Apply
Click here for information on how to apply for job openings at SPP.
Click here to learn more about available benefits at SPP.
>> Previous Page <<