IT Programmer/Analyst (Req# 12-080)
Positions available: 1
Date posted: 11/29/2012
Status: Full Time
The Programmer/Analyst is responsible for the support and maintenance of Southwest Power Pool's IT Portal deployment and ESB architecture. This position is focused on supporting the web system that provides the functions and features to authenticate and identify the users and provide them with an easy, intuitive, web-interface for facilitating access to information and services (Portal) and a standards-based, reliable and secure communications platform between any number of services and application endpoints cooperating in transactions across the Enterprise Service Bus (ESB). This position will be focused on trouble shooting and resolution of production issues, system maintenance, and minor code development.
Programmer/Analyst will generally focus on a specific set of applications as a primary area of specialization. Many of the supported applications have significant economic impact and ensure against loss of life and property. The accurate and reliable functioning of the supported applications is critical to the operation of Southwest Power Pool and its members. The Programmer/Analyst will also provide guidance to other members of the Applications Teams based on experience. The position ensures the effective operation of all systems; installs and configures systems; recommends hardware and software acquisitions and upgrades. The Programmer/Analyst will develop centralized, efficient methods for managing end user systems to minimize downtime, utilizing IT standards.
Programmer/Analyst IIs are responsible for supporting the review of system architecture and recommending improvements to service delivery processes; Applying business/technical support concepts to identify, analyze, and resolve application/usability/strategic problems.
The Programmer/Analyst will function as the liaison with SPP Departments, IT, and external vendor staff to ensure that end user and organizational needs are met.
This hands-on position is responsible for the development and support of all custom built software solutions. The Programmer/Analyst II is focused on analyzing and debugging code, troubleshooting software and providing overall support for internal software applications.
- Change and Release Management Support
- During and After-Hours Incident Resolution and Logging
- Problem Analysis and Root Cause Reporting
- Release and Regression Testing Support, including the creation of test/release plans and test data as required.
- Creation of and on-going updates of Troubleshooting Guidelines and Procedures
- Multi-tasking, problem-solving, and an ability to grasp complex and highly integrated systems
- An understanding of the business requirements of the system they primarily support and a competent understanding of other systems the team supports; i.e. Markets, DSS, Settlements, EMS, Oasis, RTOSS, etc.
- Provide training assistance in areas of expertise to other employees, as needed
- Application of detailed knowledge around specific applications or interfaces (Recognized as Subject Matter Expert).
- Perform tasks or special projects as assigned by the management team or by senior team members.
- Coordination of implementation plans that span across multiple support teams in IT, vendor support and Market Participants
- Mentor Level I and new team members. Provide mentoring to other IT Programmer/Analyst team members based on experience.
- Understanding of and compliance with SPP Policies and Procedures.
Other Functions with Applicable Application Development Skills:
- Define software development project plans, including scoping, scheduling, configuration, and implementation.
- Consistently write, translate, and code software programs and applications according to specifications to enhance functionality and/or performance of company applications.
- Conduct all types of application testing as needed, such as system, unit, regression, performance, and acceptance testing methods.
- Create and execute test scripts, cases, and scenarios that will determine optimal system performance according to specifications.
- Ensure that any new software integration into company systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications.
- Work with database administrator to design, develop, and update databases as they relate to user interface design and functionality.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Level I - Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Information Technology-related field
- Level II - Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Information Technology-related field and five (5) years experience of Information Technology Development/Support experience; or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Linux/Unix Experience
- Effective working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Unix or Linux operations systems, and database management systems
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Microsoft SQL Server Experience
- Java Development Experience
- JMS Experience
- Web Service / SOAP / WSDL / XSD Experience
- JBOSS Administration Experience
- Two (2) or more years applicable utility industry experience
- Job requires working at a computer for long periods of time.
- This position requires minimal travel (approximately 10%).
FLSA Status: Exempt
How To Apply
Click here for information on how to apply for job openings at SPP.
Click here to learn more about available benefits at SPP.
>> Previous Page <<