Reliability through Relationships
The SPP Mission: Helping our members work together to keep the lights on, today and in the future.
SPP is about more than power. We’re about the power of relationships.
SPP was founded in 1941 when eleven regional power companies pooled their resources to keep Arkansas’ Jones Mill powered around the clock in support of critical, national defense needs. (Read more about our history.)
As we now prepare to celebrate our 75th anniversary, we’re proud that the SPP of today still reflects those early principles of collaboration in the interest of providing a critical service for the good of our region.
What We Do, and for Whom
Today, SPP oversees the bulk electric grid and wholesale power market in the central United States on behalf of a diverse group of utilities and transmission companies in 14 states.
We ensure the reliable supply of power, adequate transmission infrastructure, and competitive wholesale electricity prices for a 575,000-square-mile region including more than 60,000 miles of high-voltage transmission lines.
Our staff of about 600 professionals works proudly and diligently to ensure that more than 18 million people in our footprint have electricity when they need it.
Want to know more?
If you’d like to know more about SPP, we invite you to take a look around our site. If you still have questions:
- Member companies, Market Participants, and other stakeholders should contact their Customer Relations representative.
- Members of the media and those who have questions about the website should contact the SPP Communications Department.
All others inquiries can be submitted through the RMS.
- Board of Directors
- Members Committee
- Little Rock Hotels
- Location and Directions
- Western, Basin, Heartland join Southwest Power Pool
- Southwest Power Pool releases final analysis of draft Clean Power Plan
- Southwest Power Pool appoints Matt Morais Associate General Counsel
- Southwest Power Pool accepting applications to serve on competitive transmission construction review panel for 2016
- Southwest Power Pool expands electric grid management to 14 states
- SPP Clean Power Plan assessment shows regional compliance possible by 2030, but at a cost
- Ross, See elected as SPP Officers
- FERC approves Integrated System joining SPP
- SPP assesses Clean Power Plan, says more time is needed to implement
- SPP Board approves changes to facilitate Integrated System membership
- SPP seeks industry experts to serve on competitive transmission project panels
- SPP’s Integrated Marketplace online and running smoothly
- SPP stakeholders vote to proceed with Integrated Marketplace March 1
- SPP files complaint with FERC over lack of compensation from MISO
- SPP to implement Integrated Marketplace’s TCR Market October 18
- SPP board approves $751 million of transmission expansion projects
- SPP Order 1000 compliance filing proposes open competitive transmission project process
- Ciesiel named SPP RE General Manager
- Ross to join SPP as SVP for Government Affairs and Public Relations
- Withdraw of appeal gives full confidence in highway/byway regional cost allocation process
- SPP files tariff revisions for Integrated Marketplace
- SPP Board approves over $1.7 billion of transmission expansion projects
- SPP to add 50 jobs to Little Rock in 2012
- Southwest Power Pool better choice for Arkansas customers and local community
- OPPD reaffirms status as SPP member
- SPP region hits all-time record for electricity use
- SPP is the best choice for Entergy and Arkansas ratepayers
- Southwest Power Pool anticipates renegotiation of JOA if Entergy joins MISO
- SPP Board approves Integrated Marketplace budget
- Southwest Power Pool receives USEA 2011 Energy Industry Volunteer Partnership award
- SPP approves transmission plan for the Year 2030, further development of new energy markets
- Power restored in southern Louisiana
- Suskie to Join Southwest Power Pool
- SPP holds groundbreaking ceremony for new campus
- Integrated transmission planning process approved by FERC
- FERC approves new cost sharing method for expanding SPP’s transmission grid
- SPP approves construction of new electric transmission infrastructure
- SPP proposes new cost sharing method for expanding the regional electric transmission grid
- Southwest Power Pool to build corporate headquarters in Little Rock
- Barbara Sugg elected as SPP Vice President of Information Technology
- Wind study identifies challenges, solutions to adding more wind energy to the regional electric grid
- New integrated transmission expansion planning process and cost allocation methodology approved
- SPP priority transmission expansion projects endorsed, pending further study
- New integrated planning process will focus on regional, EHV transmission expansion
- SPP, MISO and Joint Parties Reach Transmission Usage Agreement
- Southwest Power Pool elects Graham Edwards, Bruce Scherr to Board of Directors
- Transmission upgrades delivering substantial value for Southwest Power Pool members
- SPP employees inspire students to explore STEM education
- SPP RE Trustees elect new chairman
- SPP completes competitive transmission project process, publishes industry expert report and recommendation to board
- SPP Seeks Industry Experts to Assess Competitive Transmission Project Proposals
- SPP board votes to lower planning reserve margins, award first competitively bid project, approve $363M in transmission upgrades
- Customizable mapping tool provides improved situation awareness for grid operators
- Total savings from SPP’s markets cross the $1 billion mark
- Southwest Power Pool celebrates 75 years of electric reliability through relationships
- Site Map
- Strategic Plan
- Value Proposition
- › About SPP.org